Saturday, May 5, 2012

First Official Race Of The Season - WPS Half Mary and International Barefoot Running Day

So here we go, the first official race of the season is tomorrow, and I can't wait. The Winnipeg Police Service Half Marathon will commence at Assiniboine Park at 8:00 am with well over 2,000 participants this year. This will be my third go at this event and I am expecting a helluva good time. This will also be the first time I complete this race barefoot, as last year the snow kind of fouled my plans a little. Cold is ok, snow is ok, wet is ok. But all three at the same time are not a good situation for a barefoot runner, that is a sure fire recipe for disaster.

Anyway, the event is always well received and it is for a great cause in 'Cops For Cancer'. The weather looks promising with a 11 degree C start temperature and overcast, with a 20 km wind out of the east, could see some PB's falling tomorrow for sure. Hopefully mine will as well, I am shooting for a sub two hour time with a potential of a (shhhh don't say it to loud) 1:50. I have been training hard for the last 3 months with my City Park Runners marathon peeps (Ramona, Sarah and Judy) and I truly believe all of our running speed and endurance has gotten much, much stronger. The only sad thing about tomorrow is that Judy will not be running as she has tweaked her knee and as she should, is playing it safe and sitting this one out.

The Winnipeg Barefoot Runners will be well represented as well, with all three of us running tomorrow and I expect some awesome times from Nicole and Gail and of course some good stories. Fortunately, everybody knows the course well, so there should be no one getting lost, at least I hope.

The other fun event going on tomorrow is the 2nd Annual International Barefoot Runners Day which we will be attending at Assiniboine Park by the duck pond at about 11:00 am. Nothing fancy just a short run around the park to honour the day and maybe a few pictures taken for prosperity. So if you are in the area, come out for a short run just for fun.



And remember Run Smiley..................... Hope to see ya there.

Here is the link to the 2012 WPS Race Post


2 comments:

  1. Good luck tomorrow ... I checked the tea leaves and I saw a 1:49:49 for you. I'll look for you on the course. It's a 20 mile day for me so I won't be looking for a PB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, that would be nice to break the 1:50 mark, but I'm not holding my breath. Just want to get out there and run and see where the chips fall. Hope to see you tomorrow.

      Delete